Tuesday, October 18, 2016

RAE's New Coding Club!!

Have you ever wanted to learn something new?  Maybe you heard about a cool new game from a friend, or a hot new nail trend found its way to your favorite Pinterest board.  For me that “thing” is computer coding.  I don’t remember it being an option in school for elementary students, let alone female elementary students (or junior high, or high school for that matter!), but when I found it a few years ago it sparked a new found interest that reignited my passion for learning. 

I started off small – www.code.org – very user friendly, already laid out for you, and immediate results.  How fun!  I thought my students would LOVE this, so I made some generic user accounts and let them go for it during rotations.  I had several students take their information home and continue the courses over the year and eventually they had made some really neat things. 

The next year I made it my mission to have the whole school participate in the hour of code in early December.  My homeroom even Skype-ed with A REAL MICROSOFT PROGRAMER!  It was fascinating to see my students respond so eagerly to something that I had only learned about a few years prior. 

We continued to implement different coding based activities as a 3rd grade team the following year, which was made even more engaging with different apps, lots of team work, and even some new STEAM activities that required the kids to know how coding worked. 

This year though – oh man.  This year is THE year.  This year we started our first code club at RAE!  It has been a dream of mine for the last SEVERAL years – and now here we are!  Because it is the first time we’ve tried this I went with a club that google created.  This first 5 week session the students are focusing on story telling through code using www.cs-first.com (to learn about coding, what to code, and the gist of how to code what the daily project is), and www.scratch.com to create story telling masterpieces! 

I’ve given you all this background information because one split second of the code club will forever stay in my heart.  The kids were hard at work coding their sprites to move about the screen and jump between backdrops.  They were laughing, joking, and trying to decide how to get the best story for our end of club showcase.  I looked over at one of the students who normally watches the video once and goes on to create, and they looked stumped – how was this going to work?  They didn’t have the video from the previous lesson, and this particular activity relied on the knowledge from it.  I started to walk over to help, and had to stop.  Another student who is one that can be quite reserved during our afternoons had jumped out of their seat and sprung into helper mode.  She was the guru.  She knew exactly what prompts to select to make it work.  She was helping her friend, and together they made it work.  I just watched with a smile.  My normally quiet little girl empowered by her knowledge was something that I love to see as a mom and as teacher. 


That is what it is all about.  Teaching everyone that they can do it, and all you have to do is try.  Even coding at 8 or 30 J

No comments:

Post a Comment