Thursday, November 17, 2016

11-16-2016
It was our first STEAM club meeting. I woke up with a headache.  I was rushing around, got to school at 7:15 and I see about 50 parents and K-2 students huddled around our side entrance.  I hear parents and kids already talking to each other about the first meeting.  I walk into class and I have a decision to make.  Do I go and help or do I skip it because I have a headache?  I decide to go and when I walked into the science lab I quickly remembered why I became a teacher.  I walked into the lab and saw 37, K-2, students full of energy and ready to learn at 7:30 A.M.  Mrs. Twiggs did a quick introduction of the teachers and she explained what would take place in the club. The kids were being great listeners.  The conversation that took place next blew my socks off.  A 4th grade student modeled a marshmellow launcher he made for a STEAM project.  He explained he could only use a few materials: cardboard tube, tape, marshmellow, scissors, balloon, etc. Then he started to talk about how he modified his marshmellow.  So we asked, "Why do you think he modified his marshmellow?"  There were K-2 kids talking about squeezing the marshmellow together so that the air leaves the marshmellow so it is more dense.  Then that led to the word volume and then that led to lighter objects flying farther than heavier objects.  This was all coming from K-2 students!  Parents and teachers, I challenge you to get your child here at 7:30 for our STEAM club.  These kids are going to have some awesome conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment