Thursday, November 17, 2016

REMSL

11-16-16
Each week I get the opportunity to participate in a great program through Rice University, REMSL. This program has given me access to so many hands-on, authentic science activities that I have happily brought back to my classroom. Through this course, I am able to better understand the TEKS and more confidently teach my students through the exploration of science. Hands on and dirty are the two major components to these labs and the kids love it!
The REMSL program is available to elementary school teachers, K-5, who would like to increase their knowledge in science curriculum. We actually complete the labs that the students would be doing in the classroom, so we can be well prepared before presenting it to our students. Another wonderful benefit is that you get to see the vertical alignment of the science curriculum throughout the entire elementary level. You collaborate with teachers from other grade levels and from different schools, and get a better insight to how the TEKS are built upon each year. It helps to create more thoughtful planning as well as help to lessen the gaps that may occur between grade levels.

My favorite part of the program is that we are shown and able to explore labs that can be implemented into the curriculum. The labs are planned and designed around the materials that a teacher has access to, and the labs can fit within the time constraints that we face every day. The guiding questions in the labs allow for the students’ natural curiosity to flourish and they become the teachers while I become a facilitator. I have seen such a growth in my own personal teaching of science as well as a growth in the students’ understanding of the science concepts. I would recommend this program to any teacher who is willing to grow professionally, wants to gain loads of resources, and have fun! This is definitely not a sit and watch a slide show professional development. J   

No comments:

Post a Comment